Improving Website Content Quality
Lets define website content as what the Googlebot reads.
Using the above definition, website content is not:
* Adobe Flash
By the same definition, these are website content:
* TITLE and DESCRIPTION meta-tags
* webpage visible text
* image titles, captions and ALT text (Googlebot does not see images)
Worst Practices for website content:
* cut & paste from another website
* put text in images
* use Frames
* doorway pages
* spinning content
* poor language, spelling and/or grammar
Best practices for website content:
* give value (“how to”)
* use keyword phrases appropriately and naturally
* keyword density does not exceed 2-5%
* TITLE and DESCRIPTION match up with content
As long as the webpage text is original and on-topic, more is better.
Provide descriptive information about yourself (bio) and your business (history, timeline). What makes your business special and unique? What benefits might reasonably be expected for a client? What is the difference between your business and other similar companies?
You can use the inverted pyramid aproach or not. The inverted pyramid is a traditional Journalism 101 news reporting style where you communicate the most important and relevant information at the beginning then information of lessening importance as the story goes on. The inverted pyramid is designed to hook your reader, there is no SEO advantage.
My advice is to embrace Google’s stated objective of providing fresh relevant content to searchers – you want to create value on your website for search engine users.
Here’s how to improve website quality:
* Unless you’re Coca Cola and you will not reveal the secret formula even under torture, go ahead and put all of your useful information on your website. Make “how to” videos.
* Use your keyword phrases in headlines, TITLE and DESCRIPTION neta-tags, ALT text titles and captions for images, and your webpage visible text.
* Compare your website with higher ranking competitors. What are they doing that you’re not or better than you do?
* Track everything, analyze everything, survey everyone – gather data with Google Analytics and asking your customers what they need and want. (I recommend taking a break from Google Analytics and all tracking except Customer feedback on a regular basis.)
* Use Google’s keyword tool to determine what the important searches are for your business
Take care, be well, have fun,
Monday – Friday 9 AM – 5 PM Eastern Standard Time
voicemail on evenings, weekends and holidays
Emanation, Inc – NumberOneOnTheList.com
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Add NumberOneOnTheList.com to your circles on Google+
What’s not to like? NumberOneOnTheList.com on Facebook
Exploding Head – Viral YouTube Videos for Business Promotion and Marketing using YouTube SEO
Member of the New Hyde Park Chamber Of Commerce, the Floral Park Chamber of Commerce, and WISE.